The future direct and digital marketing professionals…..
"Attracting new talent into direct marketing is vital for the future development of the profession. Ogilvy fully supports the IDM's Education Programme and the valuable work it does with the next generation of marketers."
Every year the IDM Educational Trust works with its patrons, sponsors, educators and business to attract and encourage the brightest university students to enter the UK direct and digital marketing profession.
IDM Trust Mission
To educate and inspire the most talented students to enter the direct, data and digital marketing profession.
Graduates and undergraduates who take part in the programme, gain an introduction to the profession, get the opportunity to work on real-world marketing briefs, can enter the prestigious IDM Student Competition and, for the very best, will meet some of the top players in the industry via the annual IDM Marketing Summer School. Here’s what some of those from the 2011 programme said:
“I couldn’t be a bigger advocate for the IDM summer school. I have learnt so much and met so many wonderful people. If you do one thing to differentiate yourself and improve your chance of employment it has to be the IDM summer school.”
- David Roll, graduate and IDM Summer School student
“An absolutely brilliant week. Inspirational speakers, amazing opportunities to meet top practitioners and above all a week learning what the industry’s really like.”
- Georgia Kewley, graduate and IDM Summer School student
“It feels like a 3 year marketing degree in a week! It’s been so useful, insightful and fun it’s really cemented my passion to work in Direct Marketing.”
- Hannah Yeheztel, graduate and IDM Summer School student
A strategy for the future
"As a profession we operate in an area of marketing which is critical and of growing importance. We provide fantastic creativity and continuous learning as the world of communication becomes ever more direct with digital and data skills being imperative. It is therefore vital that we continue to attract and retain the best talent we can in order to grow the industry"
Caroline Worboys, Chair of IDM Trust and Managing Director KBMG UK, Wunderman
The IDM's educational strategy has three strands:
- To help educators to teach modern marketing
- To teach students today's professional best practice with a regular supply of up-to-the-minute experiences and materials
- To form a partnership with businesses because they will profit directly from the IDM's pioneering work
What's in it for you?
- Our student competition offers you direct experience of working on a marketing brief….and pitching to the client to win the £1500 team prize.
- The IDM Marketing Summer School offers you the opportunity to train at the IDM for a week, meeting leading professionals in the industry, taking a brief from a leading marketing agency and visiting a marketing agency to understand the careers opportunities available. Information about the Summer School can be found at theidm.com/summerschool.
Your business can get involved by:
- Becoming an IDM Patron
- Developing links with local universities for speaking, internships or research.
- Helping to mark and judge the IDM Student Competition
- Sponsoring the IDM Marketing Summer School
- Provide resources and programmes to help you bring your courses to life
- Offer you free training and events to help keep you up to date on marketing practice
- Offer a 50% discount on IDM membership
Vital skills shortages in marketing
The marketing profession needs a regular supply of new talent every year. If the direct and digital industry continues to grow at its current rate, we will be facing shortages. A marketing career can promise excitement, achievement and a fast track to senior management.