The IDM says 'Thank you' to its supporters
Many individuals and organisations contribute to the IDM's work. On behalf of the practitioners, educators and students who have benefited from their support, we say thank you.
Above: A very special 25th anniversary Honorary Life Fellowship was presented to the Vice Chairman of Ogilvy & Mather UK, Rory Sutherland Hon F IDM
|2010- Terry Hunt Hon F IDM |
2001-2006 Bill Cockburn CBE, TD
1994-2000 Sir Ron Dearing CBE
|2003-date Simon Hall Hon F IDM |
2000-2003 David Payne F IDM
1997-1999 George Smith Hon F IDM (dec.)
1995-1997 Dave Simmons Hon F IDM
1990-1995 Graeme McCorkell Hon F IDM (dec.)
1987-1990 John Watson Hon F IDM
Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Watson Hon F IDM, 2006
- Barrie Spelling Hon F IDM, posthumously, 2009 (dec.)
- George Smith Hon F IDM, 2010 (dec.)
- Professor Derek Holder F IDM, posthumously, 2012 (dec.)
Our highest honour is awarded to those who have rendered exceptional service to the profession. Victor Ross was elected the IDM's inaugural Honorary Fellow in 1994.
|Chris Albert (dec.) |
Arthur Bell CBE
Dr Dave Chaffey
Judith Donovan CBE
Trevor Hilliard (dec.)
|Clive Humby |
Professor Angus Jenkinson
Robert Leidermann (dec.)
Sir Keith Mills
Adam Novak (dec.)
Caroline Owen Jones
Robert Scott (dec.)
|Eddie Shotton |
George Smith (dec.)
Sir Martin Sorrell
Barrie Spelling (dec.)
Bob Stone (dec.)
Professor Merlin Stone
Professor Richard Webber
Michael York-Palmer (dec.)
Educators of the Year
The IDM Educator of the Year award is made to those who have contributed significantly to the Institute's education programme. Each has given freely of their time to write, lecture or mentor marketing students.
Educator of the year 2014
Previous Educators of the Year
Hon F IDM
David Hughes (dec.)
IDM Fellowship is an international community of distinguished direct and digital marketers who are long-standing members and supporters of the IDM's mission. Fellowship is solely by invitation of the IDM Professional Standards Committee. Members are invited to become fellows based on their experience and contribution to the profession.
Distinguished by the letters F IDM, Fellows represent leading practitioners in the field of direct and digital marketing. They have typically achieved or shown the potential to achieve in the following ways:
- making a practical contribution to the profession of direct and digital marketing
- challenging current thinking, showing bravery or innovation in their actions, or pioneering positive change
- participating in communities and networks, and showing a generosity in sharing ideas and resources
- raising awareness or increasing participation in issues related to the IDM’s mission
- reaching a high level of accomplishment or expertise and demonstrating leadership in their field
- holding a position of influence in their sphere or having the capacity to engage and inspire others
- using their expertise and enthusiasm to participate in IDM projects or wider educational work
- being recognised or commended in industry awards, voluntary schemes or national honours aligned to the IDM's mission.
In addition, Fellows must satisfy these criteria:
- Not less than five years’ membership as a full Member of the Institute of Direct Marketing AND
- Not less than 10 years’ experience of marketing, defined as "first-hand practitioner responsibility for, or control of, direct marketing or digital marketing planning and execution, resources management and budgetary control".
Recognition is also given to members who have attained IDM Diploma or Master qualifications.
What is expected of an IDM Fellow?
Whilst there are no specific obligations upon Fellows, it has been the practice of the IDM to call upon the Fellows as a group for advice and opinions on some of the key issues and challenges that the profession and Institute face. Invitations are also extended to draw upon their coaching and lecturing skills and to deploy their wide-ranging resources to secure potential sponsors or guest speakers.
Honorary Life Fellowship (Hon F IDM)
This lifetime honour is awarded to those who have rendered exceptional service to the profession. Victor Ross was elected the IDM's inaugural Honorary Fellow in 1994.