The IDM Award in Data Management (Award DM)
The IDM Award in Data Management is the first professional qualification in the UK that recognises the importance of customer data as today’s most valuable business asset. Whether your company is a private, public, non-profit or professional organisation, if you use personally identifiable information you will need staff with this qualification.
|Aug 2015 (12 months)||Online||Online||£595||£595|
|Sep 2015 (12 months)||Online||Online||£595||£595|
|Oct 2015 (12 months)||Online||Online||£595||£595|
|Nov 2015 (12 months)||Online||Online||£595||£595|
|Dec 2015 (12 months)||Online||Online||£595||£595|
* All prices exclude VAT
Graduates of this qualification will be able to maximise the return on data assets and will understand the legislation, governance and compliance issues that increasingly concern businesses. Written by expert practitioners, it contains original, practical materials never before assembled in one course.
You will be qualified to:
- Identify the drivers of value, risk and cost in data
- Plan your organisational strategy for data collection, permissioning and management
- Understand how data drives marketing and the impact of data quality
- Ensure your data strategy respects current and forthcoming legislation
- Build a secure data management culture that enables marketing innovation
Who is it for?
This programme is suitable for all marketing professionals who wholly or partly have responsibility for data collection, storage and use, and whose effectiveness is dependent on best practice data management.
Test drive the course, view the demo and test your overall data knowledge below:
View the demo here
Test your data knowledge, take the test here
This qualification is made up of 10 modules. You will also be required to complete one online assessment.
Module 1: Defining data and the principles of data Management
Learning objective: To introduce the key concepts of data management and the importance it has in facilitating marketing strategy today
- How a ‘data literate’ culture delivers competitive advantage
- Understand the importance of process in effective data management
- Reviewing how to move towards a single view of the customer
- Identifying key types of data
- Conducting a data audit to establish data standards and limitations
- Identifying gaps in the organisation’s needs for data
Module 2: Data that is ’fit for purpose’
Learning objective: To develop and implement a data quality strategy
- Understanding what data quality is
- Assessing the impact of data quality problems
- Identifying why poor data quality happens and how it can be improved
- How a data quality improvement strategy can be developed and implemented
Module 3: Technologies for managing and exploiting data
Learning objective: An introduction to the technologies employed to collect, hold and manage customer-related data, and how to exploit it for marketing
- Planning a marketing technology project
- Estimating ROI for new marketing systems
- Understanding the technical requirements for data models
- Planning and populating the database
- Options for database building and management
- Comparing the options for marketing applications
- Reviewing the analytical tools available
Module 4: Combining data from different sources – Customer Data Integration (CDI) and Master Data Management (MDM)
Learning objective: To explore the roles and processes involved in CDI and MDM and the significance they hold to your organisation
- Understand the role that CDI and MDM play in effective data management
- Understand the processes that drive effective data integration
- Appreciate why CDI and MDM strategies must be embedded within the organisation
- Recognise different types of ‘master data’
- Understand how to manage new data sources
- Have an appreciation of best practice data integration and management
- Evaluate the different options for driving effective CDI in your organisation
Module 5: Turning data into knowledge
Learning objective: Learning objective: Realising and maximising the value of data to support marketing strategy
- Recognising different types of data (internal and external) that support analytical processes, including data profiling
- How to ensure the data analysis projects are well managed
- Applying the analytical methods, tools and models to understand the value of customers
- How to communicate the outputs from analysis projects
Module 6: The impact of legislation, regulation and ethics on data management
Learning objective: To understand the legal obligations required of a data manager
- Appreciate the legal and regulatory regime which governs personal data
- Understand how international rules affect UK data processing
- Review trends in consumer attitudes to data collection and the importance of gaining consumer trust in the ‘data value exchange’
- Learn how to maximise marketing permissions when collecting data and why good permission management matters
- Understand why respect for privacy affects the bottom line and how to develop effective privacy policies and assess risk
- Self-regulation of data management and why it makes business sense
Module 7: Keeping data secure
Learning objective: To recognise good data security from bad and provide a sound basis on which to obtain more expert knowledge of data security technologies and practices
- A grasp of data security and its associated risks
- What good information security looks like
- Understand data security standards
- How to implement a risk assessment methodology
- Managerial and technical controls for mitigating data security risks
- What to do in the event of a data security breach
Module 8: Developing a data governance strategy
Learning objective: To understand why good data governance is essential and how to accurately assess your own organisation’s current data capability on the Data Governance Maturity Model
- Understand what data governance is and why it’s important to your organisation
- Review the impact of inadequate data governance
- Understand your organisation’s current data capability
- Plot your position on the Data Governance Maturity Model and monitor your progress
- Organise for successful data governance and data management
- Develop and implement a successful data governance strategy
Module 9: Building a compelling business case for investing in data
Learning objective: How to persuade your organisation to make the necessary investment into your Data Management Plan (DMP)
- Identify the financial implications for your business of correct, appropriate and safe utilisation of data as well as the negative consequences of poor practice
- Begin to construct and plan the dissemination of a persuasive business case promoting investment in your Data Management Plan (DMP)
The Data Management Plan (optional module)
Learning objective: This optional module will help you develop and finalise your own tailored Data Management Plan (DMP)
- Identifying the key points to be included within a best practice plan for managing data
- Applying what you have learned to real life business situations
Study options and locations
Enjoy the flexibility of devising your own personalised study routine with your programme deadlines via a stream of online content run over 12 months. Supported by offline reading, online research and interactive exercises, you’ll receive 24/7 access to course materials, email support and engage with fellow students spanning industries, cultures and the globe. For more information, call 020 8614 0277
Who should enrol?
Students for this qualification will be primarily employed in commercial and public sector companies across all sectors, including professional services and not for profit. Equally agencies, consultancies and suppliers servicing their data management needs will benefit by enrolling staff.
Data professionals within client organisations, including database and data managers, data stewards, data analysts, data planners, data protection officers, data quality managers, data processing managers – all of whom advise, influence, co-ordinate, manage or direct data policies and processes.
Marketing professionals – client, agency or supplier side - who wholly or partly have responsibility for data collection, storage and use, and whose effectiveness is dependent on best practice data management. This includes managers and executives in marketing, direct marketing, digital marketing, CRM, e-commerce and customer insight.
How do I enrol?
You can submit your booking online or via email, if you would like to discuss your application or have any questions please call us on 020 8614 0277.
Exams and assessments
In order to attain the Award in Data Management and use the honorifics you must successfully pass 1 online exam.
for multiple enrolments we offer the following discounts:
5-9 places: 5% discount
10-19 places: 10% discount
20+ places: 20% discount.
Email us for more details.
Why this qualification?
- Proof of your business’s professionalism: by putting your data management teams and data-driven marketers through the award, you’re proving your commitment to getting these business-critical processes right.
- Commitment to staff development: in offering this qualification as part of your career development scheme, you can attract and retain key staff, building on your training investment.
- Benchmark your practices: your staff will have the tools and knowledge to compare your performance against that of other companies in your industry and learn current best practice.
- Driving profitability: by formalising their skills, your data practitioners will drive process efficiency and effectiveness, leading to greater profitability.
- Gaining insights: the Data Management Plan will encourage staff to focus on the key areas of investment which will deliver real benefits for your organisation.
- Vital protection: ensure your business complies with the privacy, governance and compliance legislation.
- Affordable training: from £445 this qualification offers great value for the individual, and further discounts for multiple enrolments means your training budget goes even further.
Why this qualification is so important to companies
Every business process requires data in some form, most of it personally-identifiable information. Managing that data in the right way delivers better performance, whether in marketing, sales or customer service.
However, the collection and use of personal data has increasingly become the focus of legislation, leading to new requirements and complexity in ensuring that organisations stay within the law.
Marketers are also increasingly using data from a wider range of sources from within the organisation (e.g. operations, logistics etc.) or from external sources (e.g. Facebook, data vendors etc.) to develop strategy and measure success.
Despite the increasing complexity of data management and the importance of data to successful marketing, there is no accepted qualification for those working in this field. The IDM Award in Data management addresses this and is certainly the first qualification of this type in the world.
Students with the qualification will not only help ensure your business maximises the return on its data assets but importantly protects it from the burdening legislation affecting data management.
Why ambitious marketers choose the IDM Award in Data Marketing
"This Data Management Qualification from the IDM is a much needed addition to their portfolio of courses. The coverage of the subject is excellent and will ensure that we continue to get Data Professionals with a wide and up to date knowledge of an ever changing landscape. Well done!"
Stephen Boyle, Database Marketing Manager, Reader's Digest
"How organisations manage and use data is now as important as the brand itself. It's far more tangible to customers that's for sure. The Data Award has arrived at a time when the credibility of the management of data couldn't be more critical. Congratulations to the IDM for delivering this award qualification which can only help cement the importance of data management. Securing the DMAs involvement sends a great united industry statement, which should also be applauded."
Mark Chipperfield F IDM, Head of Data Management, BBC TV Licensing
"Data is probably the single most important asset available to the modern marketeer. Online or offline, data helps you understand your audience, target appropriately, and evaluate what you have achieved. Conversely, misuse of or carelessness around data is one of the quickest ways to lose clients and the trust of the end customer. Why wouldn't you want to ensure this asset was as secure as possible and being managed appropriately and within the bounds of the law by professionals qualified to do so? The IDM Award in Data Management gives you and your staff the right skills and your clients and customers that much needed reassurance."
Marc Michaels Dip IDM, Hon F IDM, Director of Direct Marketing and Evaluation, COI
"Data is an amazing asset for the marketing world, offering us a whole chest of buried treasure if explored and implemented in the right way. So when I heard about the IDM proposal for a data course that aims to help the business community create and deliver fully rounded data plans and also achieve a recognised data qualification to boot, I was delighted for us to play a part in making it happen."
Adam Williamson, Head of Data and Analysis, Proximity
"CACI has been advising its clients on how to source, enhance and manage data for over 30 years. We believe that data lies at the heart of effective customer communication and that long term, profitable customer relationships depend on effective data management. So we are delighted to be associated with the new IDM Award in Data Management. Improving the skills of marketing professionals in the area of data management can only benefit the industry and the customers we serve".
Paul Winters M IDM, Managing Director, CACI
"Data underpins so much of what we do in marketing today and its importance will only grow. People with this qualification will not only be invaluable to their company’s day to day planning and implementation , but will help them to stay out of trouble by ensuring that data is treated securely and professionally."
Annie Swift, CEO, The Institute of Promotional Marketing
"GB Group believes the best possible capture, validation and use of data related to our identities is essential for companies to create and maintain trust with consumers. The IDM Data Award is a fantastic educational tool and practical guide in the management and use of data for marketing and will make a real contribution in helping companies understand the value of data as a crucial asset."
Bill Mooney F IDM, Director – Marketing Services, GB Group
"Data is too often the hidden asset in many businesses. Any course or award that raises the profile and importance of data to the senior management team has to be supported, it is too critical a success factor in this ‘new’ faster more connected marketing world we all live in to be ignored anymore. The IDM are to be congratulated for creating a new course that aims to drive the importance data home to marketers."
Iain Lovatt M IDM, Executive Chairman, Blue Sheep
"This course pulls together numerous disparate but important data topics that are rarely seen under one roof. It's an efficient way to gain a breadth of knowledge that would otherwise take years to acquire."
Prakash Kelshiker Award DM, Consultant, Data Crunch