This programme is the equivalent to a level 6 qualification or to bachelor’s degree level and is made up of 16 modules. You will also be required to complete 2 individual assignments and sit 2 exams.
Module 1: The digital marketing landscape
Learning objective: To assess the relevance of digital marketing to an organisation and its markets.
- Understand the role of digital in relation to brand and direct marketing contexts
- Appreciate the forces that continue to influence the development of digital marketing
- Develop a basic understanding of how key digital channels work
Module 2: Understanding the digital customer
Learning objective: Understand research approaches to determine the characteristics and buyer behaviour of consumers.
- Learn about the various sources of data and information
- Assess the different ways and approaches to carrying out customer research including quantitative and qualitative surveys
- Review the data available from third-party information suppliers
- Site-centric data: principles of web analytics and other methods of evaluating online customers
Module 3: Data and database applications
Learning objective: Data drives digital marketing. The outcome is to appreciate the major issues in collecting, managing, storing and using customer data within digital marketing.
- Understand the complexities of customer contact and behavioural data and data quality management
- Databases and channel integration
- Profiling, segmentation and targeting
- Data mining and data modelling
Module 4: Planning and integrating digital marketing campaigns
Learning objective: To define a structured approach to planning for digital marketing and to understand the key planning differences between acquisition and retention marketing.
- To define a structured approach to planning for digital marketing
- Creating a digital marketing plan
- Objective setting
- Targeting strategy
- Creative offer and messaging
- Timing and integration issues
- Media planning and selection
- Budgeting and Lifetime Value (LTV) modelling
Module 5: Principles of website design: Customer experience and usability
Learning objective: Understand the technologies and user-centred design processes needed for successful websites.
- Principles of the customer experience (UX)
- What is user-centred design?
- Best practice methodologies
- Sitemaps and wireframes
- User testing
Module 6: Social media
Learning objective: Develop an understanding of how social media channels can be used to engage and influence customer conversations and interactions.
- Understanding social media in context
- Developing a social media communications strategy
- Using social media listening to understand customer preferences and competitor activities
- Understanding and using influence
- Which social media platforms to use and why (and how)
- Choosing and using monitoring tools and dashboards to optimise social media marketing
Module 7: Search engine marketing
Learning objective: Explain best practice for the search engine marketing channel including techniques for implementing natural and paid SEM.
- An introduction to Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Importance of integrated SEM
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Keyword analysis
- Indexing content
- Improving rankings
- Developing link partnerships
- Pay Per Click marketing (PPC)
- Campaign setup
- Ongoing management
- Performance monitoring
Module 8: Display advertising
Learning objective: Understanding online advertising, formats, technologies, ad-servers and media buying models together with controls needed to effectively deliver results.
- An introduction to online digital display advertising
- Setting online ad campaign objectives
- Targeting options for online advertising
- Creating a display advertising media schedule
- Developing display ad creative
- Optimising your online display ad campaign
- Engagement and integration
- Campaign management issues and best practice
Module 9: Content marketing
Learning objective: Understanding the role of content marketing and how to develop a successful content strategy.
- Principles behind content marketing
- Elements of a successful content marketing strategy
- Creating valuable content
- Content planning
- Measuring and demonstrating the success of your content marketing activities
Module 10: Mobile marketing
Learning objective: Understanding the mobile landscape marketing applications and regulatory controls needed.
- Understand what mobile marketing is
- Understand how to develop a mobile marketing strategy
- Assess the influence of mobile marketing on customer behaviour
- Understand the role of mobile marketing across the customer journey
- Assess the importance of immediacy
- Understand how to plan for cross-channel and multi-device engagement
- Identify the types of ROI models
- Assess how to measure and demonstrate the success of mobile marketing activities
Module 11: Affiliate marketing
Learning objective: Develop an understanding of the affiliate channel, technologies, remuneration models and controls needed.
- An introduction to affiliate marketing
- Affiliate programme network service options
- Affiliate programme performance indicators and costs
- Planning issues for your affiliate marketing programme
- Affiliate selection, recruitment and relationship building
- Managing your affiliate marketing programme
- Assessing affiliate performance
Module 12: Email marketing
Learning objective: Understanding the relevant technologies, marketing application and regulatory controls needed to deliver results.
- Basic components of email marketing
- Permissions in email marketing
- Acquiring names and email lists
- Key issues for email communications strategy
- Testing email for continuous improvement
Module 13: Producing great digital creative
Learning objective: To understand approaches to digital creative that are relevant, original and impactful.
- Characteristics of great online creative
- Generating and producing digital creative
- The different formats of digital advertising
- Brand building and integration
- Evaluating great digital creative
Module 14: Regulation, permission and codes of practice
Learning objective: To understand all aspects of law and codes governing digital marketers and digital marketing campaigns.
- How legal frameworks affect digital marketing practice
- Data protection and privacy legislation (including PECR and GDPR)
- ASA codes and preference services
Module 15: Controlling and optimising digital marketing campaigns
Learning objective: Approaches for measuring and improving web marketing performance onsite acquisition, conversion and retention.
- Understand what digital marketing optimisation is
- Learn how to optimise your digital marketing strategy
- Assess the marketing competencies you can optimise (and how)
- Identify what customer insights are required to inform your optimisation activities
- Manage the process for optimising your marketing activities with clear responsibilities, governance and tools
Module 16: Emerging digital media
Learning objective: Develop an understanding of the opportunities for deploying emerging digital marketing media and techniques.
- Predicting the future of digital marketing
- Identifying the significant trends
- Your part in the future
B2B Specialism Additional Modules
The syllabus for your new B2B specialism consists of two extra days of face-to-face tuition with industry experts: a masterclass in business marketing. Over the course of nine comprehensive modules you will be immersed in B2B theory and industry case-studies, with a strong emphasis on applying what you’ve learned from your existing Diploma studies to a B2B-specific context.
Programme: Day 1
Module 1: The B2B marketing landscape – now and the future
Module 2: Measurable marketing - learning from the best on and offline business campaigns
- The B2B landscape: markets, media and buying behaviour
- Our changing world: political, economic, societal, technology, environmental and legislative shifts impacting on b2b marketing; understanding disruptive forces from consumer demand to innovation in the world of work
- New competitors and business transformation, what do you need to prepare for?
- Business Brands that are leading the way
- Data driven strategic thinking to ensure your tactics work
Module 3: Marketing Operations
- Using award winning b2b case studies, you will learn what leading companies are doing to increase their success in acquiring new customers and how you can focus on what will make a difference to your business
- Focus on Measurable marketing – how and what to track off and online
Module 4: How to align marketing to the business strategy and collaborate across the company for success
- What do you need? Looking at the different resources required to support the different b2b routes to market and changing customer needs
- E commerce, Self-serve, digital channels
- Partner, reseller, distributor marketing
- Multichannel v Integrated approach, why practice lags the theory
- Benchmarking your business, measuring marketing impact and where to focus
- Briefing and using suppliers, applying best practice
Module 5: Data - Customer, marketing and campaign insight in B2B
- Getting buy in from the board
- From stakeholder management to internal communications and marketing – what is it and how to do it
- Understanding key areas for alignment: Sales/IT/Customer service and more
- Talking the same language – applying key marketing definitions through the funnel
- Who owns the lead? Setting Service Level Agreements with internal and external partners
- Doing what matters to drive revenue: How to deliver sales ready leads
Programme Day 2
Module 6: Content marketing for engagement and driving successful results
- B2B data getting the basics right from quality to benchmarking
- Understanding the data, you have, what you need and how to get it. From rapid addressing to progressive sign up
- Using data to gain competitive advantage: the role B2B Customer Analytics: and data driven marketing to acquire profitable customers, upsell and cross and increase lifetime value
- Account based marketing: what is it, why do it, where’s the value and why must it be data driven?
Module 7: Modern Marketing Tools from CRM to AI
- What is it and why is it so important for B2B?
- What is the proposition and have you got one?
- From developing a content strategy to learning how to use macro themes
- Content planning by segment, market, and product with templates to embed best practice through the funnel
- Compelling content v Spam - Understand which media works best, for which messages, from video to direct mail, from copy for chatbots to the website new essentials whether mobile or voice search
- Advocacy and word of mouth in b2b - Case studies to inspire
- The role of the Brand, credibility and thought leadership, guide to key principles
- Testing – the what, when and how to improve your campaigns
Module 8: Advanced B2B email marketing
- Understanding the backbone tools of CRM and Marketing Automation and how to use them to improve the customer journey from lead to sale and beyond
- Applying segmentation and targeting through the channel
- Using tools and analytics to help you understand digital and offline touchpoints
- Case studies of what works, when; from engagement to nurturing onto conversion using integrated marketing tools
- What do customers want? Why it is more than just technology at the heart of driving amazing customer experience
- What can go wrong? Taking the external view to fix what’s broken and understanding your compliance risks
Module 9: The B2B customer experience: Understanding online and multichannel behaviour to drive engagement
- Planning the customer journey and using behavioural triggers to maximise response
- Using email as a stepping stone to full marketing automation
- Best practice and innovation from remarketing to increasing your open rates
- Using dynamic content to improve your engagement
- Joining the dots: ensuring your email marketing works with your other media
- Applying an agile approach to improving results (test/learn/do)
Exam preparation and revision tips (webinar)
- Where do you start? – setting the right KPIs
- Enterprise, SMEs, understanding the decision making unit and leaving your assumptions behind to take the right approach
- Human to Human, understand individual stakeholder needs and the power of emotion
- How to use social media to listen. learn, engage and influence b2b buyers
- Marketing to existing customers; what do you need to do differently to drive upsell/cross sell and retention?
- Briefing on the examination and how to approach self-study and revision