This qualification is made up of 15 modules. You will also be required to complete one assessment.
Module 1: Introduction to Copywriting for Digital Channels
Learning objective: Understand how your audience read and interact with digital content.
- How do readers ‘see’ digital content?
- The ‘skim’ factor – skimmers and scanners vs. longer readers
- Web usability research and what it means for effective writing
- Mobile – where your customers and audience are today most likely read your copy
Module 2: Breaking Down the Brief
Learning objective: How marketing messages can be more effective with the right digital copy.
- Getting into a digital mind-frame
- Understanding the importance of keywords and phrases used in copy
- How to sell digital copy
- How to make the most of each medium – websites, emails, ads
- Reviewing what will work and where
- Creating a checklist for effective web copywriting
Module 3: Expanding the Content for Web Pages
Learning objective: Writing effectively for both your audience and search engines.
- How SEO copywriting affects digital content - where else will your headlines appear?
- Which words are the most important on a web page? And why?
- Understanding ‘call to actions’ the digital way
Module 4: Writing for Emails
Learning objective: Making emails and email marketing campaigns work harder.
- Identifying why your audience would read – or ignore – your email
- Getting the subject line right
- How to avoid getting sent straight to spam
- What are the golden rules and cardinal sins?
- What to test and why
Module 5: Editing and Repurposing Content for Digital Channels
Learning objective: How to effectively edit existing content to make it work across all digital channels.
- Key points to consider when repurposing or editing content
- Identifying when digital content should be considered
- Quick wins available with little effort: digital copywriting tricks
- When copy alone is not enough... Making sure enhanced content is working just as hard for you
- Identifying key editing do’s and don’ts
- How to start incorporating the day’s principles within other digital copy opportunities
Module 6: Copywriting for social media
Learning objective: An overview of social media and blogs, their importance and the impact they have.
- Identifying where blogging and social media sit in the marketer’s arsenal
- Discovering how they affect SEO
- Exploring why they need to be written in a different way to websites and print copy
Module 7: Blogging: What Makes a Great Blog?
Learning objective: How to create a blog and take the conversation further.
- Understand what a blog is - dialogue, not a conversation
- Identifying the top 5 content rules for a great blog as well as the top 5 cardinal sins for a great blog
- Where to find and promote blogs, and reviewing existing blog examples
Module 8: Taking the Blog Further
Learning objective: To delve deeper into social opportunities using blogs.
- Identifying opportunities through links/blog-rolls/tag clouds etc.
- How to stimulate and deal with comments
Module 9: Social Media – think Strategically, not Tactically
Learning objective: Considerations when writing copy for key platforms and how to think strategically.
- Reviewing what you want to achieve
- Recapping the potential benefits
- Identifying where your audience are, what they are doing and what they expect
- Ways to measure success
Module 10: The Key Players: Facebook, Twitter and more
Learning objective: Identifying where they fit in with your social media strategy and how they can help boost your digital success.
- How they can work for you and what they each offer
- Recognising what their users expect
- Identifying the key competitors
- Understanding what you need to think of from a writing point of view
Module 11: Using Social Media for Search
Learning objective: Understanding the importance of your words and what people search for.
- Knowing how copy really works
- The importance of your words and phrases when other people are searching
- How to make the most of the #tag/RT/lists
Module 12: Getting the Tone Right
Learning objective: Understanding the key points to consider when writing copy for social media.
- Identifying the top 5 things to consider
Module 13: Dealing with Comments and Feedback
Learning objective: Deploy the necessary skills to stimulate and deal with comments and feedback across all digital channels.
- Commenting and dealing with comments
- How to adopt the right tone, phrasing and reaction
Module 14: Digital Copy Techniques Refresher
Learning objective: Recap of the techniques covered so far.
- Overview of top 10 things to remember when writing and editing digital content for web, email, blogs and social media including keywords, SEO, captions, subject lines, eye-catching copy, user journeys, strategic techniques, engaging copy, stronger calls to action and using enhanced media to support your copy.
Module 15: Building Successful Personas (including exercise)
Learning objective: Understanding your audience to adapt your copy.
- Using personas to better target your digital copy
- How to create personas, why they are so important, using personas to adapt your copy for different mediums and devices