Why is speaking at conferences and events an important area for the digital marketing sector and the leaders within it?
Conference speaking can be a key driver of success, both for the digital and direct marketing sector, and also the personal careers of those working within it. You only have to look at the popularity of TED as a source of knowledge, or video as the rising star of online media, to see the direction that things are heading in.
The sector that really masters speaking to an audience will be able to create and then share their message in a way that gives them real advantages over their competitors. Conferences and events provide the perfect platform for the digital marketing sector to go about creating and sharing their insights and increase their influence with their target groups.
Let's take a look at some of the benefits of conference speaking.
For the industry
- Speaking increases investment in the sector: More representation from the direct and digital marketing sector on speaker platforms has a cumulative effect for the industry. It creates more visibility for the value of the area, as well as raising your business' profile. Businesses become more aware of digital and start to move their investment into that area.
- Speaking moves perception of the sector to 'expert consultant': Rather than being seen as a supplier or a cost centre, the discipline becomes increasingly seen as an area of expertise that can work across the business. In turn, the sector is consulted for its opinion, rather than being assigned tasks.
For the individual
- Personal development: Speaking makes you think about what you want to be known for and then gives you the structure to go about getting known, not to mention the increased personal development that comes with public speaking.
- You become a better thinker: By thinking about your material, and writing and preparing your speech, you clarify your views and opinions. In becoming a better thinker, you increase the likelihood that you'll get consulted rather than briefed.
- You make more connections: You network and meet new people from diverse backgrounds. Your breadth of knowledge of your sector increases, you break out of your silo by making connections with areas that are different from but related to your area.
- Makes you more valuable to your business: You learn more simply by attending the conference. You create content that can be shared both within your company and with your clients. It builds trust and credibility in you and this in turn has a spin off effect on your leadership credentials. You break out of marketing specific areas and have a positive impact on the industries you serve.
What do you think? Are you ready to take yourself and your industry to the next level?
It's not an easy road to follow, usually involving investment in time on top of your day job. But it's worth it. In the next two articles, I'll cover the essential elements to get you moving forward and towards your goal by addressing:
- What to do first: How do I get a slot?
- How to get confident: How do I deliver on stage?
In the meantime, I'm happy to hear from you so feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter.
If you are ready to take the next step and become the next leader within your industry, then enrol onto the IDM's Innovate You: Become a Modern Marketing Leader.
Did you find this blog useful?
At the IDM we are passionate about educating marketers and providing resources to help advance your career.
Our learning and development team will be happy to advise based on your needs and requirements.