Core principles and best practices
- How people read and respond to what you write
- The difference between selling products and selling ideas
- How to harness universal interests that always grab reader attention
- How to use emotional triggers to increase engagement
- How to use statistics so they strengthen your case, not weaken it
- Which persuasion methods work best in not-for-profit marketing
- The most common solicitation techniques explored and explained
- How to set the right tone of voice for your target audience
- Understanding the power of images, sub-heads and captions
- Practical do’s and don’ts every copywriter should know and apply
Writing for acquisition, retention and lapsed supporters
- Why fundraising letters are a completely unique marketing tool
- Why less than 5% of your letters ever get read and how to up that percentage
- Is it too long or is it too short? How long should your copy be?
- Where to put the “ask” in your fundraising letters
- The top 10 types of headline explored in their order of effectiveness
- Case study: what we can learn by analysing other charity’s fundraising letters
Adapting your copy to work on the web, email and mobile
- Balancing the telling and persuading in leaflets and brochures
- Writing effective email copy and subject lines
- The critical difference between website copy and offline copy
- Techniques for mobile campaigns that get results
Reviewing and critiquing copy
- Template for reviewing and critiquing example copy
Paul Chuter F IDM, Managing Director, Lindum Associates
Paul Chuter F IDM is one of the UK’s leading sales and marketing communications practitioners.
Since 1990, Paul has provided consultancy, copywriting and training services to major international business enterprises, leading not-for-profit organisations, government agencies, professional bodies and academic institutions.
Paul has trained staff from more than 350 commercial enterprises and 250 charity sector organisations in effective copywriting skills. His training combines attitudinal approaches, practical techniques and best-practice methodologies that can be applied immediately in the workplace to achieve impressive results.
If you want to meet great people from the widest range of industries while learning from industry greats in amazing facilities, the IDM is for you