As we enter the new year, it's time to think about how you can achieve your professional goals in 2023.
By focusing on your own progress and development, rather than comparing yourself to others, you can become the best version of yourself.
If you're looking to take on new challenges, get that job promotion you’ve been craving, or increase your income, there are some steps you can follow to set yourself up for success.
Step 1) Develop a Career Development Plan
To successfully achieve your goals for the year, it's crucial to start by defining what success means to you.
Make a list of all the things you hope to accomplish and fill in the DMA career development plan template to make them a reality.
For example, if you're aiming to advance to a managerial position, consider attending a relevant webinar or completing a leadership course.
Allocate a specific amount of time each week or day to focus on your goals, but also be realistic about what you can achieve.
Step 2) Enhance Your Skills and Knowledge
To achieve your goals, it's essential to start building up your skills and knowledge. Here are some of the best ways to do so:
1) Stay informed about your industry by reading relevant news sources. For marketers, we recommend subscribing to Campaign Magazine, Marketing Week, and The Drum.
2) Follow industry leaders on social media to keep up to date on the latest trends, challenges, and opportunities in your field.
3) Join LinkedIn groups to connect with other professionals, ask questions, and discuss topics of interest, such as data and digital marketing. You can join our LinkedIn group here.
4) Attend webinars and events, such as those offered by the Data & Marketing Association (DMA), to learn about trending marketing topics.
5) Invest in professional training to take your learning to another level. The IDM offers a mix of qualifications, awards, and short study options to provide you with the latest insights and skills.
For mid- to senior-level professionals we recommend completing one of our Marketing Diplomas.
They’ll help you build blockbuster campaigns, smash your goals, and leap the career ladder. But don’t just take our word for it: 72% of graduates say they have reached a more senior level after graduating with a Diploma.
Step 3) Monitor Your Progress
To stay motivated and on track with your career development plan, it's helpful to have it somewhere visible where you can easily track your progress. This could be on your wall, as your phone wallpaper, or in your notes.
You might also consider finding an accountability partner, such as a friend, family member, or colleague, to help support and motivate you.
When you enrol in a course or qualification with the IDM, you'll have access to the IDM Learning Hub. On the Hub, you can see which modules and qualifications you've completed and view the progress you’ve made. This can be a great way to celebrate your achievements and stay motivated.
Keep Growing Professionally
2023 could be the year you see significant professional growth and get that job promotion or pay rise.
By defining your goals, building up your skills and knowledge, and monitoring your progress, you'll be well on your way to achieving your aspirations.
And with the IDM's learning options, it's easier than ever to get the training you need to succeed.