The absolute essentials
- What is the difference between writing for B2B as opposed to B2C
- What constitutes effective B2B copy
- What is engagement - and how to achieve it
The thinking before the writing
- Focusing on your target audience
- How to ensure that what you are saying will interest your busy prospect
- The secret of successful storytelling and how to use it in B2B content and copy
How to write yourself a Brief
- Why B2B writers need a documented strategy
- Creating the Brief
- Using emotional appeals in B2B copywriting
Writing your headline and subject line
- Why you always need a headline and why it's particularly important to a B2B audience
- Four key approaches to headlines and subject lines that grab your reader's attention
- How to get journalists and influencers to notice your message and cover your story
Body Copy - What are the general principles?
- Understanding how your busy business audience reads
- Text-only emails vs visual-led emails
- How to get your message in the right order
- How to write your copy in the appropriate tone of voice
- Does a conversational style work in B2B as well as it works in B2C?
Writing your body copy
- How to win your reader's trust with empathy
- Using the right balance of logic, emotion and values in your copy
How to get them to do what you want them to do: ... offers ... incentives ... calls to action
Improving your first draft
- Identifying the words you should you be using
- Pointing out the words and phrases you must avoid
- Jargon - is it okay to use it in B2B?
- Writing better sentences and paragraphs
- Editing techniques
How to lay out what you've written so it gets noticed, read and acted upon
- What is the difference between a digital layout and an offline layout?
- When should you use capitals, bold, italics and bullet points?
- How long should a sentence and paragraph be?
- Other tricks you can use to keep your reader reading
This course is for anyone who needs to write or evaluate copy in a business-to-business context (B2B). You could be a marketing executive, manager or copywriter looking to expand your experience.
Tim Tucker F IDM, 23 Digital
Tim Tucker is an independent digital content marketing strategist and copywriting specialist. He is a digital consultant for the Content Marketing Association, for which he plans and hosts regular monthly digital breakfast events in London.
Tim has worked across a diverse range of digital environments, from B2C and B2B companies, to charities and government organisations, including the the National Trust, Nationwide Building Society, Nokia and the UK Government's Cabinet Office. Prior to going independent Tim worked for 17 years in magazine publishing, at Future Publishing and Immediate Media. He now provides training and consultancy to some of the UK's leading publishing and media organisations, including Time Inc, Harper Collins, Hachette UK, The Telegraph Media Group, News International, Reed Business Information, Egmont UK and BBC Magazines.