The first part of this qualification is made up of the 11 modules from the IDM’s Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Marketing. The modules listed below are covered in the two extra days of face-to-face tuition with B2B experts.
Module 1: The B2B marketing landscape – now and the future
- The B2B landscape: markets, media and buying behaviour
- Our changing world: political, economic, societal, technology, environmental and legislative shifts impacting on b2b marketing; understanding disruptive forces from consumer demand to innovation in the world of work
- New competitors and business transformation, what do you need to prepare for?
- Business Brands that are leading the way
- Data driven strategic thinking to ensure your tactics work
Module 2: Measurable marketing - learning from the best on and offline business campaigns
- Using award winning b2b case studies, you will learn what leading companies are doing to increase their success in acquiring new customers and how you can focus on what will make a difference to your business
- Focus on Measurable marketing – how and what to track off and online
Module 3: Marketing Operations
- What do you need? Looking at the different resources required to support the different b2b routes to market and changing customer needs
- E commerce, Self-serve, digital channels
- Partner, reseller, distributor marketing
- Multichannel v Integrated approach, why practice lags the theory
- Benchmarking your business, measuring marketing impact and where to focus
- Briefing and using suppliers, applying best practice
Module 4: How to align marketing to the business strategy and collaborate across the company for success
- Getting buy in from the board
- From stakeholder management to internal communications and marketing – what is it and how to do it
- Understanding key areas for alignment: Sales/IT/Customer service and more
- Talking the same language – applying key marketing definitions through the funnel
- Who owns the lead? Setting Service Level Agreements with internal and external partners
- Doing what matters to drive revenue: How to deliver sales ready leads
Module 5: Data - Customer, marketing and campaign insight in B2B
- B2B data getting the basics right from quality to benchmarking
- Understanding the data, you have, what you need and how to get it. From rapid addressing to progressive sign up
- Using data to gain competitive advantage: the role B2B Customer Analytics: and data driven marketing to acquire profitable customers, upsell and cross and increase lifetime value
- Account based marketing: what is it, why do it, where’s the value and why must it be data driven?
Module 6: Content marketing for engagement and driving successful results
- What is it and why is it so important for B2B?
- What is the proposition and have you got one?
- From developing a content strategy to learning how to use macro themes
- Content planning by segment, market, and product with templates to embed best practice through the funnel
- Compelling content v Spam - Understand which media works best, for which messages, from video to direct mail, from copy for chatbots to the website new essentials whether mobile or voice search
- Advocacy and word of mouth in b2b - Case studies to inspire
- The role of the Brand, credibility and thought leadership, guide to key principles
- Testing – the what, when and how to improve your campaigns
Module 7: Modern Marketing Tools from CRM to AI
- Understanding the backbone tools of CRM and Marketing Automation and how to use them to improve the customer journey from lead to sale and beyond
- Applying segmentation and targeting through the channel
- Using tools and analytics to help you understand digital and offline touchpoints
- Case studies of what works, when; from engagement to nurturing onto conversion using integrated marketing tools
- What do customers want? Why it is more than just technology at the heart of driving amazing customer experience
- What can go wrong? Taking the external view to fix what’s broken and understanding your compliance risks
Module 8: Advanced B2B email marketing
- Planning the customer journey and using behavioural triggers to maximise response
- Using email as a stepping stone to full marketing automation
- Best practice and innovation from remarketing to increasing your open rates
- Using dynamic content to improve your engagement
- Joining the dots: ensuring your email marketing works with your other media
- Applying an agile approach to improving results (test/learn/do)
Module 9: The B2B customer experience: Understanding online and multichannel behaviour to drive engagement
- Where do you start? – setting the right KPIs
- Enterprise, SMEs, understanding the decision making unit and leaving your assumptions behind to take the right approach
- Human to Human, understand individual stakeholder needs and the power of emotion
- How to use social media to listen. learn, engage and influence b2b buyers
- Marketing to existing customers; what do you need to do differently to drive upsell/cross sell and retention?
- Briefing on the examination and how to approach self-study and revision
Part 1: 3 x 3 day face-to-face sessions which take place at the IDM offices in Central London.
Part 2: 1 x 2 days of face-to-face tuition which take place at the IDM offices in Central London. The exact location of our courses vary, so please make sure you check before attending
Part 1: 11 x 1 evening classes (17.30-21.00) run once a fortnight for 11 weeks at the IDM offices in Central London. The exact location of our courses vary, so please make sure you check before attending.
Part 2: 1 x 2 days of face-to-face tuition which take place at the IDM offices in Central London. The exact location of our courses vary, so please make sure you check before attending.
This programme can be fully customised and delivered to your staff in-house. For more information visit theidm.com/corporate
To support your studies
Every delegate has an online learning account which includes:
- eLearning modules on the key digital channels
- Online course materials
- Monthly expert webinars with industry experts
- Best practice guides from DMA councils on topics like social media, data, etc.
- Case studies from DMA Awards winners
- Links to industry leading blogs, whitepapers and websites.
Delegates are automatically enrolled as IDM members, giving access to events and a free Euromonitor subscription for the latest consumer research (worth £170 pa).
Exams and assessments
In order to attain the Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Marketing with B2B you must successfully pass two assignments and one exam. You will also need to submit a professional practice report.
- You will have six weeks to complete each assignment and three hours to complete the exam
- You will have three weeks to submit your professional practice report
- Exams take place in March, June and November at over 3,500 venues around the world
Pass marks and grades
Assignment marks are weighted. Assignment 1 is weighted at 40% and Assignment 2 is weighted at 60%.
- To pass you will need a minimum of 45% in each assignment and exam to pass. You will also need to pass the professional practice report.
- If one or both assignments don’t meet the minimum pass mark, your tutor will discuss this with you and may be considered by the Board of Examiners in conjunction with your exam results.
- To obtain a CREDIT you must pass both papers and achieve an overall average of 60%. For a DISTINCTION you must pass both papers and achieve an overall average of 70%.
Mike Berry Dip DM, F IDM , Consultant
Mike stared his career at Procter & Gamble. He then went agency-side with roles at EHS Brann (Havas Helia), Wunderman (Director), Bozell/ FCB Inferno (Senior VP) and Head of Digital for EMEA at Jack Morton (Interpublic’s experiential agency network). He has worked with many of the world’s leading brands including Coca-Cola, Google, Ford, McDonald’s, GSK, Allianz, British Airways, Honda, Xerox and Marriott.
These days he’s a digital consultant, trainer and academic (Adjunct Professor at Hult Business School, Digital Course Leader at Imperial College London and Visiting Lecturer at Kingston University). He is the author/ co-author of 3 books including The Best Of Global Digital Marketing Storybook 1 and 2. Mike is a Fellow of the IDM and Course Tutor on the IDM Postgraduate and Professional Diplomas.
Beverly Barker F IDM, FHEA, Partner, Business Solutions
Beverly Barker, F IDM, FHEA, is a leading trainer and consultant is digital and direct marketing, with extensive experience in communications and media planning. Beverly’s industry background extends over 30 years, including 10 years at Carat as a Board Director and Head of Direct and Digital.
Beverly is now a partner in Business Solutions, Lecturer with Bournmouth University’s prestigious Media School and Tutor for the IDM. She combines academia with her role as a Digital Consultant, providing strategic insight to both UK and International clients in customer journey analysis in planning media, content and proposition development and all aspects of integrated communications planning.
Her particular interests include planning, delivering and measuring campaign effectiveness, including attribution modelling, which is the subject of her ongoing PhD. Beverly was recently awarded the prestigious IDM Educator of the Year Award for her exceptional contribution to direct and digital marketing education. She is widely published on media planning and digital marketing and a regular speaker on matters digital at academic marketing conferences.
Ruth Connor F IDM, Head of Marketing, Earnest
Ruth is an independent trainer and a part-time Head of Marketing with over 20 years’ experience in both B2B and B2C Marketing.
She’s held roles in numerous organisations including: BUPA, Legal & General, Page & Moy, Westfield Health, and Consumer Intelligence during my career. Ruth has significant experience of brand development, digital and content marketing, and integrated campaign planning and delivery in both B2C and B2B. She’s also developed and launched market-leading products and led award-winning Internal Comms and PR campaigns.
Ruth has been a tutor at the IDM for over 4 years, covering topics such as content marketing campaign planning and implementation, development and use of personas and customer journeys. She also runs 1day courses on Content Marketing and Campaign Planning & Delivery.
As a Marketing tutor she’s focused on actionable learning that workshop attendees can take back to their businesses to implement and drive improvements. She’s a Fellow of the Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing and she sits on the IDM B2B Marketing Council.
When Ruth’s not busy delivering training she is a part-time Head of Marketing at leading independent B2B agency – Earnest.
A great way to meet other marketing professionals, digitalise your B2B and increase effectiveness
Simon Thexton PG Dip DigM B2B,
Channel Marketing Manager, Allianz Insurance PLC
The IDM B2B programme is excellent. The quality of the speakers and their delivery was flawless and incomparable to previous courses I have taken. The cluster-style classroom environment harnessed comfortable interactive sessions and made communication between lecturers and peers extremely effective. The format of the event was first-class and very enjoyable. A must attend, I couldn’t regard it higher!
Róisín Hayden PG Dip DigM B2B,
Senior Events Executive, Deloitte & Touche
An informative and exciting course that gives you practical tips for improving your marketing very quickly
Sarah Lespierre PG Dip DigM B2B,
Senior Marketing Executive, Direct - DAS Legal Expenses Insurance